The Organizational Effectiveness major is designed to educate students in the leading edge of theory and practice associated with the management of employees and the design of organizations. It spans topics from understanding the behavior of individuals and groups to designing management systems and structures to support business strategy. It serves students with a range of career objectives: (1) those who seek leadership positions focusing on employees in organizations; (2) those interested in consulting in the area of organizational effectiveness or management consulting more generally; and (3) those interested in balancing a more technical academic and business background with greater depth in understanding behavioral and management expertise.
Requirements for the Major
The Organizational Effectiveness major requires four credit units beyond the required Wharton core. MGMT classes in the required Wharton core are non-waivable and include MGMT 6100 (Foundations of Teamwork and Leadership, 0.5 cu) as well as your choice of MGMT 6110 (Managing the Established Enterprise) or MGMT 6120 (Managing the Emerging Enterprise) or MGMT 6130 (Managing the Established Enterprise, WEMBA only). All credit units for the major must be taken for a letter grade.
- At least three credit units of the following. The semester or quarter in which each class will tentatively be offered during the 2022-2023 academic year is shown in parentheses for planning purposes. Please consult the MBA course schedule to confirm:
- MGMT 6240 – Leading Diversity in Organizations (0.5 cu, Fall Q2)
- MGMT 6250 – Corporate Governance, Executive Comp and the Board (0.5 cu, Spring Q4)
- MGMT 6710 – Executive Leadership (WEMBA only)
- MGMT 6910 – Negotiations (Fall and Spring)
- MGMT 7400 – Leading Effective Teams (WEMBA only)
- MGMT 7480 – How to Be the Boss (0.5 cu, Fall Q2)
- MGMT 7510 – Strategic Management of Human Assets (not offered 2022-2023)
- MGMT 7720 – Power & Politics in Organizations (0.5 cu, Fall Q1)
- MGMT 7730 – Managing Organizational Change (0.5 cu, Spring Q4)
- MGMT 7930 – People Analytics (0.5 cu, Spring Q3)
- MGMT 7940 – Understanding Careers (0.5 cu, Spring Q4)
- MGMT 8160 – Building Human Assets in Entrepreneurial Ventures (not offered 2022-2023)
- MGMT 8920 – ASP – Collaborative Innovation Project (Fall, Spring)
- No more than one credit unit of the following:
- MGMT 6920 – Advanced Negotiation (not offered 2022-2023)
- MGMT 7820 – Strategic Implementation (Spring)
- MGMT 8020 – Innovation, Change & Entrepreneurship (0.5 cu, Fall Q2, Spring Q3)
- Global Modular Courses and Global Virtual Courses with significant content in organizational effectiveness, at the discretion of the department advisor.
Advisor: Sara Jane McCaffrey (for current Wharton Students only, Prospective students should contact the Admissions office)
For additional information or to apply visit the MBA website.
- Management Major (General)
- Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (DEI) Major
- Entrepreneurship & Innovation Major
- Environmental, Social & Governance (ESG) Major
- Multinational Management Major
- Organizational Effectiveness Major
- Strategic Management Major