The Organizational Effectiveness major is designed to educate students in the leading edge of theory and practice associated with the management of employees and the design of organizations. It spans topics from understanding the behavior of individuals and groups to designing management systems and structures to support business strategy. It serves students with a range of career objectives: (1) those who seek leadership positions focusing on employees in organizations; (2) those interested in consulting in the area of organizational effectiveness or management consulting more generally; and (3) those interested in balancing a more technical academic and business background with greater depth in understanding behavioral and management expertise.
Requirements for the Major
The Organizational Effectiveness major requires four credit units beyond the required Wharton core. MGMT classes in the required Wharton core are non-waivable and include MGMT 610 (Foundations of Teamwork and Leadership, 0.5 cu) as well as your choice of MGMT 611 (Managing the Established Enterprise) or MGMT 612 (Managing the Emerging Enterprise) or MGMT 613 (Managing the Established Enterprise, WEMBA only). All credit units for the major must be taken for a letter grade.
- At least three credit units of the following. The semester or quarter in which each class will tentatively be offered during the 2021-2022 academic year is shown in parentheses for planning purposes. Please consult the MBA course schedule to confirm:
- MGMT 624 – Leading Diversity in Organizations (0.5 cu, Fall Q2)
- MGMT 625 – Corporate Governance, Executive Comp and the Board (0.5 cu, Fall Q2 and Spring Q3)
- MGMT 671 – Executive Leadership (WEMBA only)
- MGMT 691 – Negotiations (Fall and Spring)
- MGMT 748 – How to Be the Boss (0.5 cu, Fall Q2)
- MGMT 751 – Strategic Management of Human Assets (0.5 cu, not offered in 2021-2022)
- MGMT 772 – Power & Politics in Organizations (0.5 cu, Spring Q4)
- MGMT 773 – Managing Organizational Change (Spring)
- MGMT 793 – People Analytics (0.5 cu, Spring Q3)
- MGMT 794 – Understanding Careers (0.5 cu, Spring Q4)
- MGMT 816 – Building Human Assets in Entrepreneurial Ventures (0.5 cu, not offered in 2021-2022)
- MGMT 892 – ASP – Collaborative Innovation Project (1.00 cu, Fall and Spring)
- No more than one credit unit of the following:
For additional information or to apply visit the MBA website.
- MBA Entrepreneurship & Innovation
- MBA Management
- MBA Multinational Management
- MBA Organizational Effectiveness
- MBA Strategic Management