1. Computing equipment: laptops, desktops, iPads, printers
As with any reimbursement request, for each new device, please state the business purpose. Most of this equipment is expected to have at least a 2-year useful life. If you need to purchase say a 2nd laptop within a 2-year window, you need to provide the University with a detailed note indicating how the desired product provides valuable functionality for teaching or research beyond what your existing products/technologies provide.
Please note, all of these devices are considered to be property owned by the University.
2. Cellular devices: cell phones, iPhone, Blackberries
You are allowed to get reimbursed for one device. The University’s preferred way is that you purchase your cellular devices through the University (in our case through Victoria). As above, these devices are expected to have at least a 2-year useful life. If you need to purchase say a new device within a 2-year window, you need to provide the University with a detailed note indicating how the desired product provides valuable functionality for teaching or research beyond what your existing products/technologies provide.
Please note that all equipment/devices purchased through the University or reimbursed by the University are considered University property and must be either returned to the University or bought out upon departure from University employment.
3. Payment of monthly usage charges
The following are charges that you can get reimbursed for, if they are accrued for business related purposes:
- One internet connection at home
- Data plans for iPads
- Mobile internet access fees for laptops
- The monthly usage charges for one phone, e.g., a Blackberry, or an iPhone, or a regular cell phone (both data plans and call charges). The University’s preferred way is that you purchase your cellular device through the university (in our case through Victoria). That way the monthly usage charges will be directly billed to your account, and you do not need to file reimbursement requests every month. Alternatively, you can submit your cellular device bill every month. When you do so, please note the percentage of usage that was conducted for business related purposes. For instance, you might indicate that 75% (or 50% or 100%) was for business related purposes. Please note, if you have a telephone bill that contains more than one number, it is your responsibility to highlight the charges on your bill that are connected to the phone that you have designated as your “business phone.”
Please note, all of these usage charges will come from your DARTS account.
The Wharton School,
University of Pennsylvania
2000 Steinberg-Deitrich Hall
3620 Locust Walk
Philadelphia, PA 19104-6370
Phone: (215) 898-7722
Fax: (215) 898-0401